I can't seem to find an nvidia driver version that works with a
PCI FX5200.  Versions later >= 173.15 don't support the 5200
series.  I tried several 173.14.xx versions, and they all build
and the nvidia module loads, but Xorg dies with an illegal
instruction signal when it starts.  (Xorg runs fine with the
"nv" driver.) I'm trying the 100.14.19 driver, but so far, I
can't get it to compile.  I've tried 2.6.27 and 2.6.25 kernels,
and the nvidia module fails to compile with them. I'm trying
2.6.24 next, but it takes so long to build kernels on a 400MHz
box that the trail and error approach is pretty frustrating.

Is there a database somewhere of what nvidia driver versions
work with which kernel versions and which boards?

--
Grant