On 2009-02-08, Michael P. Soulier <msoul...@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
>[...]

> msoul...@anton:~$ equery list | grep nvidia
> media-video/nvidia-settings-169.07
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.15
>
> msoul...@anton:~$ uname -a
> Linux anton 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 #9 Sun Nov 23 19:14:08 EST 2008 i686 AMD
> Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
> This works for me. I'm masking out newer nvidia-drivers now
> and kernels, since I'm told that version of nvidia-drivers
> won't build against a newer kernel.

I never got any of the 173.14 series to work -- I alwasy got an
illegal instruction trap as Xorg was starting up.  My box is a
Celeron Mendocino, and I suspect that the binary blob in
173.14.xx drivers is incompatile with older processors.  So
it's not my card that's not supported by 173.14.xx, but my CPU.
There's also a chance that it's not the CPU which is
unsupported by 173.14.xx but rather the PCI bus interface, but
because the fault is illegal instruction, I'm guessing the CPU
is no longer supported by the driver.

The 100.19.xx series seems to work, but I had to go back to
2.6.24 to get it to build.

--
Grant