On Wednesday 11 February 2009 20:25:13 James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OK, I have read back into January the suggestions on this
> list about going to Kde-meta 4.2. I have dozens of workstations
> running gentoo, so now I'm going to upgrade one (test) laptop
> to get a feel for kde-4.2 and hopefully flesh out an
> upgrade strategy for all of these laptops and workstations
> running kde. I'm not so concerned with being slick,
> as I am discovering the verbose, *sure_footed steps* to make
> the migration, mechanical, because these will be done, one
> at a time, in the background while I do other work related
> tasks. The systems vary wildly (cpu, video etc) but
> they all have kde-meta 3.6.9 installed, currently.
>

> So here are my (gleaned) steps:
>
> 1. emerge --unmerge kde-meta
>
> 2. emerge --pretend --depclean kde-meta
> <check over manually>
>
> 3. emerge --depclean kde-meta
>
> 4. autounmask kde-base/kde-4.2.0
>
> 5. echo "kde-base/kde-meta   ~amd64" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> 6. emerge  -DNv kde-meta

Looks about right. If it were me, I would not unmerge kde-3.5.* just yet. I
find that there are things still not present in 4.2 and I fall back to 3.5 to
get them. Stuff like kmail which I have not migrated all my mail, contacts,
feeds etc over to yet. Amarok, which although not part of 4.2, just plain
sucks (no flame fest please, I like where it might go; it just has not quite
gotten out of the starting blocks, never mind actually there yet) and you may
run into trouble building system-settings (I didn't but others have).

Also, 4.2 really really does not like it if you mix and match old and new
overlays with the portage tree. You are not in that position, so it's not a
problem for you.

Finally, try to use sets if possible. The split -meta ebuilds were an ugly
hack until sets made it into portage. They were orders of magnitude better
than monolithic, but sets are just so much cleaner than -meta. Plus you get
to easily define what's in a set if the standard ones don't suit your needs.

I'm finding issues with exiv2, libkeviv2 and stuff that uses it. Like
gwenview, okular and krita. But that's the kind of thing that happens
occasionally in ~arch

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com