Wyatt Epp wrote:
> Greets,
>
> So while gearing up for the Summer of Code, I noted a lot of things that
> I had come to accept as normal that I feel should not be so.  Things
> like the danger of depclean or the way portage will only show one mask
> at a time.  So I was curious...what have people that are /not/ myself
> and my mate noticed that is mildly irritating and disruptive to the
> Gentoo experience?

Two things, but I think there is not much you can do about it:

1) There are too many ebuilds in bugzilla which should either
a) move on to the tree at some point, or if there is something wrong
b) someone point to mistakes such that the contributing user can learn
new things and do better next time.

This fact is the most frustrating when you try to contribute things as a
'normal user'.
On the other hand of course developers are not paid and no one can be
forced to care for ebuilds that he or she does not find interesting...

2) Hidden dependencies. Especially Hardware related packages like
hal/dbus/kernel/xorg/... always seemed to have hidden dependencies. It
feels like this: All the latest versions of ~x86 work, and likewise all
the latest stable versions work together, but if you try to mix them you
trigger bugs and run into all sorts of trouble.
Often it is also hard to find people able to reproduce the bug because
devs mostly use the latest versions of everything.
But I guess this is a general problem with a metadistribution. Just not
every combination can be checked.

Ok, so much for my 2c.

Tom

--
Thomas Kahle

The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
should software be any different?