On Apr 5, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

On 5 Apr 2009, at 10:35, Peter Humphrey wrote:

On Sunday 05 April 2009 10:22:26 Peter Humphrey wrote:

I raised a bug complaining of this not long ago, which received one
reply. Then silence. It's too hard a job, requiring understanding,
imagination and a flair with words.

Actually, I've just checked, and some of the specific entries I complained about have been fixed, but with no follow-up to the bug report so I assumed
nothing was happening. Maybe things are improving.

I doubt it. I complained about this on the -dev list YEARS ago. An then complained again 6 months later. Made no difference.

I guess if you filed bugs against each poor description individually then you'd see results for them, but it seems that asking developers to keep in mind that use descriptions should be _useful_ is an unreasonable expectation.

Stroller.
I would usually consider it unwise to attempt a Gentoo installation without access to the handbook and any other online resource (Google). If a user is actually wondering what flags they need to enable, simply checking wikipedia would suffice in most cases. Gentoo, as someone pointed out earlier, seems to opperate in a manner that requires individuals to have certain pre-requisites in their competence with computers, if they wanted it simple and to just "work" without any real modifications to conf filed, they would go with a *buntu.