I've a gentoo box sat behind a firewall - it runs a apache and sshd with holes punched through NAT to allow remote access. It runs DHCP and DNS services for my LAN.

I would like to run a second instance of apache on a fresh IP address - to simulate a hosted environment supporting https. I need to be able to access my second apache locally by URL on my LAN (which I can map however I chose using my DNS config.) I also need to be able to access this second apache from a remote site (assume gentoo again, for simplicity) over an SSL tunnel - even if the remote server already runs apache doing something else again. It isn't acceptable for the second apache to be accessible publicly. It's also unacceptable

I'm think I probably want a VPN (or similar) - or maybe some sort of virtual network interface similar to those employed by VMWare for virtualisation... coupled with PPP over my ssh tunnel.

Can anyone give me any hints - or, ideally, a link to a how-to?

Thanks...

Steve