Volker Armin Hemmann writes:

> when you go to the multimedia settings in system settings - are those ok?
> right devices? xine set?

The backend is still set to Xine. As devices I have "HDA ATI SB (HDA
Generic)", "HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)", "Jack Audio
Connection Kit" and "Esound (ESD)" listed. All except for the 2nd one give
output when I press the Test button, although only with the first one the
sound is perfect, with the others I seem to miss a tiny fraction of the
start of the test music. I wonder why this works at all, I seem to have
jack-audio-connection-kit and esound installed, but I cannot see them
running with ps while the sound plays.

My sound device according to lspci -v is:
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 960f
        Memory at fdffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Count=1/1 Enable-
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

        Wonko