Volker Armin Hemmann writes:

> On Freitag 08 Mai 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:

> > The backend is still set to Xine. As devices I have "HDA ATI SB (HDA
> > Generic)", "HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)", "Jack Audio
> > Connection Kit" and "Esound (ESD)" listed. All except for the 2nd one
> > give output when I press the Test button, although only with the first
> > one the sound is perfect, with the others I seem to miss a tiny
> > fraction of the start of the test music. I wonder why this works at
> > all, I seem to have jack-audio-connection-kit and esound installed, but
> > I cannot see them running with ps while the sound plays.
[...]
> wait you have esd and jack running? stop both (and in case of esd remove
> it) and retry.

No, I meant that media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit (but not media-
sound/jack) and media-sound/esound are installed, but I did not see them
running. Anyway, I explicitely deactivated the esd use flag and unmerged
esound. Now both "Jack Audio Connection Kit" and "Esound (ESD)" devices no
longer generate the test sound in system settings -> multimedial. That is,
the sound still appears, but I get a message that the devices are not
available, and that "HDA ATI SB (HDA Generic)" will be used instead.

But still, /dev/dsp is busy with amarok running.

        Wonko