James writes:

> Well after using kde4 for a month or so on a desktop (amd64)
> today when I booted up the system, all the konsoles
> were gone.

I had similar problems with KDE 3.x a couple of times. I think the konsoles
still started, but all on the first desktop, and many settings were lost. So
made it a habit to backup my ~/.kde3.5 directory regularly, expecially every
time before I saved the session (I do this manually, instead of always
continuing the last session).

> I poked around the 'systems settings' but
> did not see where/how you make whatever apps. you want
> to be persistent (survive reboots).

I think it's the ~/.kde4.2/share/config/session directory. Good luck, I hope
you find your settings there. But I doubt it :(

I'm also using KDE4 for around a month now, and over all I'm happy with it.
I see many small bugs, many tings that worked better in 3.5, but some things
also have improved, and I hope the bugs get fewer and fewer, while with 3.5
it seems I experienced some bitrot over the time.

        Good luck,
        Wonko