On 5/12/09, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to phase out KDE:3.5. One reason is, that I cannot install
> both, 3.5 and 4.2 without using 'prefix'.
>
> For doing so, I need to find out which (installed) packages use which
> parts of KDE:3.5. Is there something better than unmerge all of KDE:3.5
> and let revdep-rebuild find out.
>
> Furthermore, how to unmerge all of KDE:3.5, e.g.
> emerge --unmerge kde-base/kde-meta:3.5
> does not work.

Some of your questions are answered here, right on the top (I hope I
link to the up-to-date version and not the outdated one):

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/

I don't know if my advice beyond those links is of any use as I did it
all the "wrong" way -- didn't unmerge previous kde, just unmasked the
new kde versions, didn't use sets, still have USE="-kdeprefix" etc.
Still, sky didn't fall on me, at least not until I unmasked the
then-unstable xorg 1.5 ...

--
Arttu V.