2009/6/8 Cristian Gary <cristiang...@gmail.com>:
>  Run in konsole  kde 4.2  , "  bash$  kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental"   with
> this you force the rebuild of kde menu.

Thank you both.  I am still running kde-3.5.10 so I ran:
$ kbuildsycoca --noincremental
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
kbuildsycoca: ERROR: applications.menu not found in
(/home/michael/.config/menus/)
kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file
.hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop has Type=Service but is located under
"apps" instead of "services"
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ksvgplugin.desktop' specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype 'image/svg'

True enough the error about applications.menu is because this is what
I have under /home/michael/.config/menus:

total 0
drwx------ 3 michael users  88 May 13  2008 .
drwx------ 8 michael users 224 May 30 16:55 ..
drwx------ 2 michael users  48 May 13  2008 applications-merged

$ ls -la /home/michael/.config/menus/applications-merged
total 0
drwx------ 2 michael users 48 May 13  2008 .
drwx------ 3 michael users 88 May 13  2008 ..

What should it be in there?