On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 06:52:23PM -0500, Penguin Lover Dale squawked:
> Questions:  You knew I subscribed to this list.  lol  I ran the command:
>
> find -H /usr/lib /lib -type f | xargs qfile -o
>
> and I got a lot of hits.  I'm just going to post snippets of the
> directories here.  It is a LONG list otherwise.
>
> /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i486-linux/sys/
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric/
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PyQt4/uic/
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Pyrex/Plex/
> /usr/lib/portage/pym/
>
> Some of those directories have additional directories in them but I
> tried to hit the highlights.  Now to my questions.  Can these be
> deleted?  Should one make certain these doesn't belong to some package
> somewhere?  Should I update my backups BEFORE deleting these?  o_O

Depends if you do have those packages installed. Numeric is from
dev-python/numeric, for example.

Also, be careful when you parse the output of the command. Most of the
.pyc and .pyo files in the python2.5 directories are byte-compiled
version that python generated dynamically the first time they are
used. For example: ..../Numeric/numeric_version.py was installed by
the ebuild and thuse qfile tells me it belongs to dev-python/numeric,
but .../Numeric/numeric_version.pyc is listed as an "orphan". While it
is safe to delete, it will just be regenerated again later, wasting
computing cycles.

Ditto for some of the files in the perl directory.

I am not a physics major. I am not a physics major. I will never be a physics
major. I never will want to be a physics major. I can never be a physics
major.                           ~Daniel Jonathan Peng
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 913 days, 22:59