On Jun 9, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:

I've just completed first part of a fresh install.
[snip]
What I see on reboot:

Normal booting appears to be going along then moments after dev is
mounted followed by filesystems... a massive screen full of text
begins scrolling by and never stops.

Impossible to read any of the text and neither pause/break or
scroll/lock keys have any effect.

Appears to be a continuous wrapping line repeated.

But it completely kills the boot process, and no further progress is
possible.

I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install media.

So you have grub installed, the grub menu appears, you select a boot
option, boot starts, the usual kernel messages flash by, you get to the
second part of the boot where the lines look like:

 blah...   [OK]

Then something goes crazy.

Assuming that's the scenario, boot with your install media, enter the
chroot, then take a peek at the logs in /var/log. Hopefully you can find
a hint.

HTH,
Roy