Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> writes:

>> And just incase its something related to the newest kernel I've
>> downgraded to 2.6.29-r2 and building from an old .config of 2.6.28.
>> (not genkernel on this one)
>
> I think he was hoping that you would find something in your
> chroot/var/log/messages file or something like that. boot from the CD,
> mount the hard drive like you were doing an install, and then poke
> around and see if anything got written and is still there. Just
> hunting for clues.
>
> Do you have a digital camera? If so maybe it's fast enough to capture
> the screen while it's scrolling and make the message semi-readable
> even though they aren't to your eyes?

Just reporting some kind of fix here.

I downgraded to 2.6.29-r2 kernel from `r5' and built it from my old
.config from a different system.  (with a few changes in accord with
the difference in the kernels [ 2.6.28 to 2.6.29-r2 ].

On reboot it just worked.... no endlessly scrolling text.

So maybe its someting related to 2.6.29-r5 kernel or related to
building that kernel with genkernel.

At any rate, it seems a bit too opaque of a problem to continue trying to
sort out, now that I got something working.

Thanks for the tips posters.