> Jason Carson schrieb:
>> Hey Norman,
>>
>> I tried changing my /etc/conf.d/net to what you suggested but it
>> resulted
>> in the following errors...
>>
>> *Bringing up interface wlan0
>> *     Configuring wireless network for wlan0
>> *     Scanning for access points
>> *        no access points found
>> *     Failed to configure wireless for wlan0
>>
>> Then because wlan0 wouldn't start I got a bunch of errors like...
>>
>> *     Error: cannot start named as net.wlan0 would not start
>> *     Error: cannot start sshd as net.wlan0 would not start
>> *     Error: cannot start apache2 as net.wlan0 would not start
>> etc...
>>

> This is still rc-script output... do not use the rc-script. Do not start
> it!
> Your errors would be, because you have to detach these services from
> wlan0 and let them use the bridge.
>
> Here is some output from my box:
>
> mimir ~ # rc-update -s -v | grep net
>                local |      default nonetwork
>              net.br0 |      default
>             net.eth0 |      default
>               net.lo | boot
>             netmount |      default
> mimir ~ # ifconfig wlan0
> wlan0     Protokoll:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 00:80:48:5e:57:3d
>           inet6 Adresse: fe80::280:48ff:fe5e:573d/64
> Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
>           RX bytes:7344 (7.1 KiB)  TX bytes:14190 (13.8 KiB)
>
> mimir ~ # ls /etc/init.d/net.*
> /etc/init.d/net.br0  /etc/init.d/net.eth0  /etc/init.d/net.lo
>
> As you can see, there is no rc-script on wlan, but it is initialized an
> running in AP mode.
>
> Regards
> Norman

Thanks for the clarification Norman :-)

ok, I removed net.wlan0 so it doesn't start up anymore. My computer booted
up and all the services are working the way they should, however I am
having a problem getting hostapd to start. Here is the error I get when I
tried to start up hostapd...

penguin ~ # /etc/init.d/hostapd start
* Bringing up interface wlan0
*   Configuring wireless network for wlan0
*   Scanning for access points
*     no access points found
*   Failed to configure wireless for wlan0
* ERROR: net.wlan0 failed to start
* ERROR: cannot start hostapd as net.wlan0 would not start

It's suppose to be an access point, not scanning for one so do you have
any idea what I should do now?