> Jason Carson wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I think I might know the problem. After doing some reading apparently
>> many
>> distrutions, including Gentoo, don't ship hostapd with support for the
>> nl80211 driver. I checked the Gentoo tarball and this is the case. I
>> tried
>> editing the defconfig file in hostapd.tar.gz (enabling
>> CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y)but when I opened the tarball, edited it, and
>> created a new tarball then tried to emerge it it gave me this...
>>

>> penguin distfiles # emerge hostapd
>> Calculating dependencies... done!

>> Refetching... File renamed to
>> '/usr/portage/distfiles/hostapd-0.6.9.tar.gz._checksum_failure_.70f9W1'
>>

>> ...and then wanted to download hostapd again.
>>
>> Anyone know how I edit the source of the hostapd tarball so it will
>> work?
>>

> What it is doing is correct.  The package has been changed and portage
> doesn't know if you did it or some random hacker.  That said, man ebuild
> and check out the manifest section.  I have never done this but maybe it
> will make sense to you.
>
> Also, I think emerge used to have the --digest option.  Basically it
> tells emerge to skip checking the digest.  I didn't see it in the man
> page so it may not be there anymore.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hmmmm, I tried emerging hostapd normally and I noticed this...

 * Enabling Wi-Fi Protected Setup support
 * Enabling drivers:
 *   HostAP driver enabled
 *   Wired driver enabled
 *   Prism54 driver enabled
 *   Madwifi driver enabled
 *   nl80211 driver enabled

...which says that nl80211 is enabled, yet the defconfig file in the tar
ball shows this line commented out so I am confused as to how I fix my
problem...

#CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y