On Saturday 13 June 2009, AG wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I am currently running Debian Squeeze and am considering the
> feasibility of switching to Gentoo due to several issues I am
> experiencing with a new machine with a SATA HDD and a TSSTcorp CDDVDW
> TS-H653Z which refuses to play audio CDs and pre-recorded DVDs.
>
> In any event, because I have loads of data on my /home partition, I'm
> curious about a few things, primarily what are the implications of
> dual-booting with Gentoo as my second OS, so that I can experience
> Gentoo without losing my data, etc.
>
> How compatible are Gentoo and Debian in terms of using a shared /home
> directory - I am concerned about uid for the directory for instance
> which, if I changed it for Gentoo, may not work for Debian and vice
> versa.
>
> Any thoughts/ suggestions?
>
> Many thanks
>
> AG

I had for a while a dual boot Gentoo-Debian. It is nothing to worry
about.

The only two things I remember (it was mid 2005) are:

1) kmail repository is in a different subdir (~/.mail vs ~/Mail)
2) Openoffice folder had different naming as well

Those are not issues that are worked around with a couple of symlinks.

WRT UID/GID just make sure in advance the two OS uses the same.

Don't forget to make backup before starting your tests ;-)

Ciao
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.30-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 11 18:44:20
CEST 2009