bn wrote:
walt ha scritto:
Ah, maybe that explains why I despise their package manager.

When I was a Debian user I figured that the most basic of utilities
should be easy to use -- and I'm only half joking.

Just for fun I tried Ubuntu recently since it's been so popular the
last few years.  They built their system on top of a Debian base,
including my nemesis, the Debian package management system :o(

The Synaptics GUI front end for their package manager is a great deal
easier than the original back end, true, but the basic bad design of
the back end still glares through the eye candy.  (Just my opinion.)

I like gentoo's portage system so-o-o-o much better!

As a user of both Debian-based and Gentoo systems, I am curious to know
what do you find so annoying about apt-get.

Heh.  I laughed out loud when I read this link about dselect, especially
the quote from Andrew Morton who captured my sentiments exactly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dselect

Portage is more flexible probably, but apt-get, with an appropriate
frontend like Synaptics, is a piece of cake: in 99% of cases is click&
go.

Yes, if gentoo ever disappears (God forbid) I would probably go back to
Ubuntu because the Synaptics front end isn't too confusing.  But I'm
still annoyed by the idea that a binary package can be only 'partially
installed', whatever that means.  And why does a binary package need to
be "configured", whatever that means?

After I dropped dselect like a hot potato I used apt-get from the command
line routinely.  I recall that there were often conflicts between the newly
downloaded packages and the old installed ones, leaving the machine in an
undefined state for me to sort out however I could.

Perhaps Debian has matured a bit since then -- I certainly hope so!

And surely it makes more sense to use than rpm, on the command line
(let alone the crazy Slackware guys :) )

I can barely remember using Red Hat, and I've never used Slackware, so
I can't offer any comments either pro or con.

It's me and gentoo til death do us part.  And I hope I go first...