On Jul 1, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Andrew MacKenzie wrote:

Two questions:
How do I fix the shutdown sequence to unmount NFS drives before the network
is shutdown?

How do I tell NFS to simply give-up after X attempts (for other times when
the NFS server simply may not be there anymore and I *just want the
friggin' computer to shudown*)?

verify that both your nfs and net service are at the same run level:

royw-gentoo etc # rc-update show | grep nfs
                  nfs |                                 default
royw-gentoo etc # rc-update show | grep net
             net.eth2 |                                 default
             netmount |                                 default
                local |          nonetwork              default
               net.lo |                    boot

Also you might consider using autofs.  I have two gentoo and one kubuntu
systems all cross sharing nfs mounts using nfs without any issues.

HTH,
Roy