NFS drives me nuts...

I'm mounting a number of NFSv3 directories using the following mount
async,soft,timeo=10,intr,noatime,rsize=8196,wsize=8196

When I shutdown a client Gentoo seems to shutdown the network before and
without unmounting the NFS filesystems.  Later Gentoo tries to unmount
remote filesystems.

This causes NFS to try what seems like "forever" to reconnect with the
remote file server.

Two questions:
How do I fix the shutdown sequence to unmount NFS drives before the network
is shutdown?

How do I tell NFS to simply give-up after X attempts (for other times when
the NFS server simply may not be there anymore and I *just want the
friggin' computer to shudown*)?

--
// Andrew MacKenzie  |  http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key