On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not getting anywhere with X, and the scripts themselves seem to be
>> screwed up.
>> I've re-emerged x11-apps/xinit to no avail, and I'm current with
>> revdep-rebuild.  I have no idea what else to try.
>>
>> Here's a transcript; no log is created in /var/log/Xorg.0.log so I
>> don't think I have any further information:
>>
>> Script started on Wed 08 Jul 2009 09:00:25 AM PDT
>> treat ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm stop
>>  * Stopping xdm ...
>> /sbin/start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory
>> (No such file or directory)
>>             [ ok ]
>> treat ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm zap
>>  * Manually resetting xdm to stopped state.
>> treat ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm start
>>  * Setting up xdm ...
>> start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory (No
>> such file or directory)
>>  * ERROR: could not start the Display Manager                             [
>> ok ]
>> treat ~ # exit
>>
>> Script done on Wed 08 Jul 2009 09:00:53 AM PDT
>>

>> --
>> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
>>

> So is xdm emerged? Seems strange.

xdm comes from xinit, which is emerged.

> Are you using gnome by chance? You can change the display manager you
> choose inside of /etc/conf.d/xdm where I set gdm. emerge gdm and for
> me it just works.

Back in May, when this was working, it booted into KDE.  However,
/etc/conf.d/xdm seems to be set to start "xdm", which is loopy.  When
I change it to kde, it's says it's starting kde, but nothing happens
and the log says no devices detected and no screens found.

> Good luck,
> Mark

Thanks.

++ kevin