On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Neil Bothwick<n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>> > You don't have xdm installed, have you checked /etc/conf.d/xdm?
>> >

>> I do have xinit, which installs /etc/init.d/xdm.  I see no ebuild
>> called xdm, so if there's something else I need, please tell me.
>
> ]% eix -e xdm
> * x11-apps/xdm
>     Available versions:  1.1.8 {debug ipv6 pam}
>     Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
>
> If you want to use xdm, you need to install it. This is different from
> the xdm init script, which runs whichever display manager you tell it to.
>
> If you look at the comments in /etc/conf.d/xdm, it tells you what the
> options are. Follow it's advice to get it to use whichever display
> manager you want. Alternatively, check a backup from before things stop
> working and see what the file said then.

As many have pointed out, you don't set "kde".  I knew that, and put
"kdm" in the config file, but described it as "kde" because that's how
I think about it.  I'm not completely stupid.

On the other hand, I really did think I had searched for "xdm" and not
found it.  So I'm partly stupid.  Now things are more intelligible to
me.  X is still not working, but you can see about that in a different
thread.

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> If you can smile when things go wrong then you have someone in mind to
> blame.

Or, as in my case, you've realized just how stupid most of reality is,
no company excepted.  And found it both futile and funny
simultaneously.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD