Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 03:18:34 schrieb Harry Putnam:
> I'm not that familiar with nfs usage ... only used lightly a few
> times.
>
> I have an opensolaris nfs server serving a share to my gentoo box.
>
> The mount point is set as owner:group  of my user (reader).
>
> Also has the set-gid bit set.
>
> ls -ld /projects
> drwxr-sr-x 2 reader wheel 48 Jun 24 07:08 /projects

BTW: The permissions of the mount point don't matter since they can be
different after the directory has been mounted. So I guess the set-gid only
needs to be set on the exported directory. In fact, I would set the
permissions of the mount point so that it's only writable by root so that
ordinary users can't write to it while it's unmounted (a later mount would
make those files invisible for as long as the directory is mounted).

And finally: Using the kernel automounter (autofs) avoids
1) the need for the users option
2) users forgetting to mount the thing

Bye...

        Dirk