Alan McKinnon writes:

> Golden rule with nfs:
>
> It was designed for the case of a diskless client mounts it's home or
> root directories over the network, while exporting passwd and shadow
> files over NIS. That is evident in it's design and there is no facility
> to change uids and gids on the fly.

man 5 exports (at least my localized german version) lists the map_daemon
option, which allows mapping of UIDs / GIDs between server and client. This
needs the rpc.ugidd to be running on server side.
I never did this, I don't even know where to get rpc.ugidd from, and I'm
pretty sure it won't work at all with opensolaris, but at least with linux
it should be possible then, theoretically.

        Wonko