>>> It's not that they aren't supposed to become fragmented, it is that
>>> they try to avoid it. There is a big difference, and things like
>>> streaming writes (downloads, bittorrents, etc) can cause extreme
>>> fragmentation.
>>
>> Yeah, that's when I'm hearing the HD access I didn't hear before.  I
>> run miro and it's downloading several torrents all the time.  It never
>> made a sound before, but now there's a rhythmic grinding sound when
>> miro is running, maybe because the HD is more full now.  Could shake
>> help with this?  To find out, should I be running it on the partially
>> downloaded torrents?
>
> Well, bittorent does not download in sequential order, so it is
> constantly doing random reads and writes. You may not be able to avoid
> the HD grinding during this kind of activity. Download to a RAM drive
> or SSD or something perhaps.
>
> Fragmentation definitely gets worse the nearer you are to full (which
> for me is always). I have seen very small files with hundreds of
> fragments as I live at 99% of my space used. They say a hard drive has
> 2 states: new and full :)
>
> It certainly wouldn't hurt to defrag the partial files, though you may
> want to pause your download before doing it (I don't know how much
> locking/blocking may occur on in-use files). Some bittorrent clients
> have an option to write a placeholder file; this is supposed to
> prevent fragmentation since it's allocating the space for the whole
> file immediately. Vuze is what I use, it calls this option "allocate
> and zero new files on creation". The down-side is it could take a
> while to initialize if you're downloading something huge, especially
> if you're saving to a network or USB hard drive that's not very fast.

Is there any tool available to show which files are being written to
any any given time?  iotop is great for watching the I/O rate and
which process is responsible, but sometimes I wonder which files are
being written.  For example, miro is showing a constant 3.5Mbps write
in iotop, and I only have 50kbps downloading and 30kbps uploading.
I'd really like to know what is being written to.

Here's how I'm running shake, please let me know if you would modify
this to work on my noisy drive problem:

shake -vX --new 0 --old 0 --bigsize 0 folder

Does anyone know what these headers indicate (FRAGC and SHOCKED for
example)?  There is no info in man or on the homepage:

IDEAL   START   END     FRAGC   CRUMBC  AGE     SHOCKED NAME

- Grant