> [...]
>> Does this indicate everything is OK as far as SMART can tell?
>>
>> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
>> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
>> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error     00%   14109 -
>
> Looks good. Have a look at the output of 'smartctl -H /dev/sda', too. And
> also of 'smartctl -A /dev/sda', there you may spot things that are wearing
> down, but not failing imminently. The output is a little hard to interpret,
> though.
>
> Here's an article about smartmontools:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com:80/article/6983
>
>        Wonko

Thank you for that.  I do get this on one HDD:

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Please note the following marginal Attributes:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   066   035   045    Old_age
Always   In_the_past 34 (Lifetime Min/Max 20/38)

But based on the info here:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=9806&start=15

it doesn't sound like a big deal.  That HDD was previously in another
system which I think had a temperature problem.

- Grant