On Aug 16, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

On Sunday 16 August 2009 21:46:02 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sonntag 16 August 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Sunday 16 August 2009 21:12:30 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
Am Sonntag 16 August 2009 21:02:50 schrieb Roy Wright:
So for the kde-4.3 upgrade, it looks like this is what will be
necessary:

1) grab the sets again from the kde-testing overlay and put
them in / etc/portage/sets (assumption is to do a replace). 2)
unmerge kde-4.2 using: emerge --unmerge @kde-4.2
3) merge kde-4.3 using: emerge -av @kde-4.3
4) recustomize kde as the ~/.kde will not be migrated

Am I on the right track?

No.

1) They're in portage.

He's asking about the set files, not the ebuilds.

and you don't copy the set files.

Which set files does one not copy, and why?

you don't copy any set files because there is no reason to do so?

And if the changes between kde-4.2 and kde-4.3 DO require changes to the set files to build everything, then what should one do? Not copy the files
and live with the omission/breakage?

Set files do not ship with a --sync, the user must either get them from somewhere or create them himself. And additions to 4.3 are not present in 4.2, so I don't understand your position. Seems to me that copying working set files from somewhere is a requirement in this case, especially if the
user uses versioned set files.

you install kde-testing. Suddenly you have all the set files needed. you have
all the unmask files needed. You have all keyword files needed.

And the overlay is not that big.

I've been avoiding overlays (been bit a few times) and just running a testing (~x86) system.

The first blocker is kde-menu-icons-4.2.4 which looks like it is replaced by kdebase-menu-icons-4.3.0, but here's what happens when attempting to unmerge kde-menu-icons-4.2.4:

royw-gentoo portage # emerge --unmerge kde-menu-icons
Not unmerging package kde-base/kde-menu-icons-4.2.4 as it is
still referenced by the following package sets:
    kdebase

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge

That's what started me looking for how to do the upgrade.

Went ahead and added the kde-testing overlay. Then moved /etc/portage/ kde and /etc/portage/sets to /tmp. This allowed "emerge -uDNav world" to not have any stoppers.

So it looks like the kde-4.3 upgrade is still tightly coupled to the kde-testing overlay.

Thank you,
Roy