On Aug 26, 2009, at 2:46 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 05:10:18 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Sorry, I'm not following what you're trying to say :P

jpeg-7 is masked, Without it any update process stops with this
failure. jpeg-7 needs itsself to update jpeg-7 (according the output
I posted).

Incorrect. Something else is pulling it in and you snipped that output. Your initial post only says that emerge wants to include jpeg and it won't emerge
version 7 as it is unstable and your box is stable.

It's from some package that specifically wants jpeg-7 as opposed to just jpeg.
Most likely netpbm which is hardcoded to DEPEND on jpeg-7.

In my case, it was netpbm. Here's the steps I took to resolve the problem:

1) emerge -1 -av jpeg
2) Do NOT run "emerge @preserved-rebuild"
3) emerge -av jpeg-compat
4) revdep-rebuild