Jesús Guerrero <i92gu...@terra.es> writes:

> On Sun, August 30, 2009 19:52, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Jesús Guerrero <i92gu...@terra.es> writes:
>>

>> [...]
>>>
>>> That entirely depends on the browser you use. But usually it's enter
>>> once you have the link selected. At least, that works on firefox and
>>> seamonkey. I seem to remember the same holds true for konqueror, not
>>> sure.

>>> If that doesn't work, then let us know which browser do you use.
>>>

>> Yes sorry.  I use firefox-3.5.1 and I also thought <enter> should
>> activate a hperlink.
>
> I don't know what your problem might be then.
>
> If you select a link with tab, just pressing enter should be enough
> to open it.
>
> An alternate method is to directly type part of the link, firefox
> will select matches (you don't have to press any key combo to open
> the search box or anything, it's automatic as you start typing). Once
> you have typed enough characters and the selection is -hopefully-
> over the link, just press enter. This method can be a bit tricky
> sometimes. You might need to click the background on the area containing
> the links or tab somewhere near the link to be able to use it.
>
> Yet a third method would be to use the search feature. Control+f, then
> type part of the name, once the link is -partly- selected, press ESC
> (important, to close the search bar) then enter to activate the selected
> link.
>
>> If your enter key activates hyperlinks, please try some of the links
>> here:
>> http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=391
>
> As far as I can tell, they work fine in both firefox and seamonkey.

This is beginning to seem very strange... My firefox browser follows
all the things you laid out above on any other site.

It has to be something to do with me being logged into that account.

Logging out doesn't change it either... what happens is the first
keystroke I do after arriving at the home page, causes me to be logged
in again and then the links will not activate with <enter>

It has to be something done with javascript to intercept the event of
pressing <enter> and disabling or redirecting it.

There are dozens of routines in javascript and AJAX that intercept
keyboard and mouse events... and use them to display something helpful
like a preview of the page the hyperlink leads to or that sort of
thing.

So I'm guessing its either being done purposely for some reason or is
a side effect of some other javascript code.

Thanks for the time and help.