Doing it again. Only change is to tell the conf to get debuggy. Unit
boots; last three lines before login:

Starting Music Player Daemon
Starting local
Stopping Music Player Daemon

This after several successful boots with no problem.

Nothing in mpd.log

A clue? Seems to occur when I'm mobile(this is an Asus netbook BTW)
and I have to enter the BIOS to turn the wifi on(I know, there's a key
to do this but it doesn't work, yet).

If you think it would help to login to my machine, I'm game. Send me
the details, pls