Dale wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was browsing around and noticed that I now have a udev in
> /etc/init.d/.  I checked, it is not running but udevd is not running
> either.  See below:
>
>> r...@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev status
>>  * status:  stopped
>> r...@smoker / #
>> r...@smoker / # ps aux | grep udev
>> root     30451  0.0  0.0   1888   504 pts/0    R+   16:04   0:00 grep
>> --colour=auto udev
>> r...@smoker / #
>
> This is the baselayout that is installed:
>
>> [I--] [  ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1
>
> I seem to recall that baselayout 2 is going to be a service thing but
> since I am on baselayout 1, should this be running?  It seems to belong
> to the udev package tho according to this:
>
>> r...@smoker / # equery belongs /etc/init.d/udev
>> [ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/udev in *... ]
>> sys-fs/udev-141 (/etc/init.d/udev)
>> r...@smoker / #
>
> You can see from that what udev version is installed too.  I also
> checked the elogs and I see no mention of it being changed to a service
> or that it needs to be added to a runlevel.
>
> Also, keep in mind, everything works fine.  I just don't want to add it
> to boot or default runlevels and then break something.
>
> Thanks for any advice.  I searched the forums and udev on g.o but didn't
> see anything relevant.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

In baselayout-1, udev is started directly by baselayout itself, outside
of any init scripts.  In baselayout-2/openrc, an initscript is needed to
start udev.  If you actually read the script, you may notice that the
script will immediately fail if you attempt to run it on a baselayout-1
system, as it isn't needed.  If/when you upgrade to baselayout-2/openrc,
it will automatically be added to the boot runlevel, but only if
baselayout-1 had been previously installed.

In short, don't worry about it. :)

(this didn't appear to send the first time, so resending...)
- --
Jonathan Callen (ABCD)