Jonathan Callen (ABCD) wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> > Hi folks,
>
> > I was browsing around and noticed that I now have a udev in
> > /etc/init.d/.  I checked, it is not running but udevd is not running
> > either.  See below:
>
> >> r...@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev status
> >>  * status:  stopped
> >> r...@smoker / #
> >> r...@smoker / # ps aux | grep udev
> >> root     30451  0.0  0.0   1888   504 pts/0    R+   16:04   0:00 grep
> >> --colour=auto udev
> >> r...@smoker / #
> > This is the baselayout that is installed:
>
> >> [I--] [  ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1
> > I seem to recall that baselayout 2 is going to be a service thing but
> > since I am on baselayout 1, should this be running?  It seems to belong
> > to the udev package tho according to this:
>
> >> r...@smoker / # equery belongs /etc/init.d/udev
> >> [ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/udev in *... ]
> >> sys-fs/udev-141 (/etc/init.d/udev)
> >> r...@smoker / #
> > You can see from that what udev version is installed too.  I also
> > checked the elogs and I see no mention of it being changed to a service
> > or that it needs to be added to a runlevel.
>
> > Also, keep in mind, everything works fine.  I just don't want to add it
> > to boot or default runlevels and then break something.
>
> > Thanks for any advice.  I searched the forums and udev on g.o but didn't
> > see anything relevant.
>
> > Dale
>
> > :-)  :-)
>

> In baselayout-1, udev is started directly by baselayout itself, outside
> of any init scripts.  In baselayout-2/openrc, an initscript is needed to
> start udev.  If you actually read the script, you may notice that the
> script will immediately fail if you attempt to run it on a baselayout-1
> system, as it isn't needed.  If/when you upgrade to baselayout-2/openrc,
> it will automatically be added to the boot runlevel, but only if
> baselayout-1 had been previously installed.
>
> In short, don't worry about it. :)
>
> (this didn't appear to send the first time, so resending...)

What you say makes sense but why is udev not running on my system
anymore?  I noticed this mostly because I went to single user, KDE
seemed to have a few processes that didn't want to die when I logged
out.  Anyway, I used ps and less to list those processes and noticed
that udev was not running.  It used to be running in the past.

That got me to looking and that is when I found the init script.  Even
after logging back into KDE, udev was still not running.  I'm sort of
concerned that something is not quite right.  I haven't rebooted in a
week or two either.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

Dale

:-)  :-)