G'day,

I'm running Xorg with a minimal config file (only 15 lines - which
provide font paths and set the AllowMouseOpenFail option).

When I last restarted my computer (about 3 months ago), X came up in
1280x1024 mode.  Today I restarted X (because the shift and control
keys were non-responsive) and my computer is in 1024x768 mode.  I much
prefer the higher resolution.

I have the Xorg.0.log files from the reboot 3 months ago and today's X
restart.  What should I be looking at in them to diagnose what has
happened differently?

Several obvious questions arise:

   _Why_ did X select a different resolution today?
   _How_ can I get to the higher resolution?
   _What_ can I do to prevent a recurrence of this problem?

I'm running a 2.6.28-gentoo-r5 kernel with the following packages:

    x11-base/xorg-x11-7.2
    x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2
    x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.1-r1

Regards,