On Monday 14 September 2009 13:59:45 William Kenworthy wrote:
> I ran into the same problem though with different versions of the
> software a couple of days ago.  The only fix that worked was to -hal
> xorg-server, and recreate the xorg.conf file that I had previously
> deleted, making sure that EDID and DDC were not being used.
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "AtiRadeon"
>         Driver          "radeon"
>         VendorName      "ATI"
>         Option          "DPMS"                  "On"
>         Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "1"
>         Option          "RenderAccel"           "1"
>         Option          "AGPMode"               "4"
>         Option          "IgnoreEDID"            "1"
>         Option          "NoDDC"                 "1"
> EndSection
>
> Not sure all the settings are optimal, but I have a display thats at
> least at a usable resolution ...
>
> It might seem all and good that xorg automaticly chooses the best
> resolution - but it clearly doesnt.  This is on a system running as
> 1600x1200 for years on the same hardware, with xorg suddenly deciding it
> can only do 1280x1024 (and even then, it first defaulted to 1024x768).
> Whatever happened to the idea that in Linux (and esp gentoo-linux) its
> the "user" thats in control :)
>
> It certainly seems someone - seemingly xorg - dropped the ball
> recently :(

I notice that panels are almost always detected correctly - they have a single
native resolution defined by the number of elements in the display.

CRTs are another story - my spare machine can do better 1600x1200 with a CRT
and autodetect logic often sets it lower. Anecdotal evidence via my eyeballs
tells me it's because it first figures "optimum" frequencies to run at, then
picks the best resolution for that frequency. Personally I don't see the need
to run that monitor at 85Hz, lower frequencies are just fine for me.

Pre-hal Xorg will do what you tell it to.
Post-hal Xorg apparently does what a toss of the coin tells it to.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com