On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 11:13 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
> Also check out xrandr, run it without parameters to see what modes it knows
> about, then use -s 1280x1024 to set that mode. I have no idea how this
> interacts with the other options, but IIRC when I set my old laptop to
> 1600x1200 in xorg.conf it was ignored and xrandr worked and was persistant.

xrandr is part of the problem - it doesnt list the modes that used to be
available (or that both the monitor and videocard have for that matter),
only the ones that xorg *thinks* are available (and it doesnt seem to
think very hard about it), which I am convinced is set by Alan's "toss
of a coin" method.

:)
BillK