On Saturday 19 September 2009, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> Nonetheless I added the UNLOAD_ON_STOP="no" to /etc/conf.d/alsasound
> and we will see what happens.
> All this works for a long long time...and it bits me about three days
> ago. I did not update alsa*, since I use the kernels alsa-stuff and
> the according lib/utils/etc. of the portage tree.
>
> Fingers crossed...

If that doesn't work, then exit your X session and Ctl+Alt+F1 will drop you to
a console.  Run '/etc/init.d/xdm stop' (or gdm if you are running gnome) and
then zap.  Then '/sbin/shutdown -h now' from the console.  If it hangs again
the problem is not related to your video card kernel settings.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick