On 09/19/2009 05:07 PM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
walt<w41...@gmail.com>  [09-09-20 02:03]:
On 09/19/2009 05:31 AM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

Nonetheless I added the UNLOAD_ON_STOP="no" to /etc/conf.d/alsasound
and we will see what happens.

Did you try stopping the alsa service manually?

#/etc/init.d/alsasound stop

This gave me errors, since my Webcam's audio part isn't implemented as
full audio device, but it does not hang:

solfire:/home/mccramer>sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
  * WARNING:  you are stopping a boot service.
  * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
alsactl: get_control:249: Cannot read control '2,0,0,Mic Capture Volume,0':
Invalid argument
  * Error saving levels.                                                     [
!! ]
solfire:/home/mccramer>

Ah! I've seen that same error when I neurotically switch back and forth
between different kernel versions (cf. autoflagellation).

Try (as root) 'alsactl store' and see if that makes any difference.