On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:41:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Turns out none of the backup or Myth files were savable in any
> practical manner of speaking. Myth could play them, or at least start
> playing them - I don't know if it could get to the end of any of them,
> but if I tried to copy them off to another drive the machine just
> started hanging with lots of dmesg drive errors. None of the previous
> windows backups were savable. I've taken new windows backups starting
> last night.

Did you try photorec as previously suggested? When a drive starts
behaving like this, retrieving the data should be the first thing you
try. Repairing the filesystem should be the last because you run the risk
of causing further damage. Photorec can retrieve files that are
inaccessible through the filesystem.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 013: Unexpected error - Huh ?