On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:41:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Turns out none of the backup or Myth files were savable in any
>> practical manner of speaking. Myth could play them, or at least start
>> playing them - I don't know if it could get to the end of any of them,
>> but if I tried to copy them off to another drive the machine just
>> started hanging with lots of dmesg drive errors. None of the previous
>> windows backups were savable. I've taken new windows backups starting
>> last night.
>
> Did you try photorec as previously suggested? When a drive starts
> behaving like this, retrieving the data should be the first thing you
> try. Repairing the filesystem should be the last because you run the risk
> of causing further damage. Photorec can retrieve files that are
> inaccessible through the filesystem.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

I haven't tried it yet. I don't like installing extra softwrae on the
Myth backend so I disconnected the drive, used this old 1394 drive as
a replacement and now have the old drive back here in my office. I
figure I'll install Photorec et all next weekend on my AMD64 box and
see what it can find.

Cheers,
Mark