On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 14:20, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 September 2009 12:33:59 Willie Wong wrote:
>
>> Is the framebuffer working? I mean, when you boot with the parameters
>> listed up there, are you stuck in 80x25 or are you in a framebuffer
>> mode that you don't like?
>
> No, the fram buffer is not active - I just get 80x25, or some others if I
> pass a vga= parameter to the kernel.
>
>> If you are stuck in 80x25 text-mode, the intelfb kernel documentation
>> suggests you try setting the vga mode, see the file vesafb.txt in your
>> kernel documentation directories for details. (The problem is that the
>> vesafb modes do not include one that is the native resolution for the
>> 16:9 aspect ratio displays; on LCDs this will make the text look
>> crappy).
>
> And I haven't been able to get the fesa fb to work either.
>
> Incidentally, if I have both intelfb and vesafb compiled in (*), vesafb
> takes over in spite of have intelfb specified via grub. Not what I
> expected.
>
>> If the framebuffer is working, maybe you just want to play with the
>> screen resolution? I think that 1024x600 is correct for the 1000
>> series though. Do you just want a certain number of rows and columns
>> of text on your console? That I think is determined by the FONTS
>> symbol, the configuration should be somewhere around where you enabled
>> framebuffer support. Changing the font size should also change the
>> number of rows and columns.
>
> 1024x600 is correct, I'm sure of it. Fiddling with the fonts may help but
> I'd rather get the underlying screen resolution right first if I can.
>
>> On yres of 600, if you want something close to 60 lines, then you may
>> want to try using the 8x8 VGA font. The standard 8x16 fonts will
>> provide 30 someodd lines.
>
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> * Thanks also to Daniel; I'd overlooked gentoo-wiki, where there seems to be
> lots of good advice. I'll have a go at that later.

As an owner (701 and 900), I researched a lot, and found this:

http://code.toofishes.net/cgit/dan/eee.git/tree/kernel-eee/kernelconfig

Its an Arch developer that makes a binary package (an eee specific
kernel), but he publishes all info using git (including the kernel
config file). You can use that to compile your own kernel and it will
give you a perfectly working framebuffer at native resolution (800x480
in 701, and 1024x600 in 900).

--
Daniel da Veiga