I use a laptop with one of those touch pads you use for a mouse where
you drag your finger around on it and have two buttons for left and
right mouse.

Can any one tell me how to copy with mouse (really the left mouse
button provided on the touchpad) but paste from keyboard while in text
(console) mode?  Or using the touch pad thing somehow.  I've tried
pressing both touchpad buttons at once to emulate middle mouse but it
has no effect.

So I'm thinking there must be a way from the keyboard to release the
copied string.... someway to `paste' whatever is currently in the copy
buffer or clipboard or whatever it is when you hightlight something in
the terminal with left mouse drag.

If I hook a real mouse to the laptop.. I can do the normal linux stuff
all with mouse.. highlight with left mouse button drag (in a terminal)
and paste the highlighted string with middle mouse.

So again, how can I effect the above with only the keyboard for pasting
or alternatively the touchpad?  (The touchpad and two button apparatus
built into the laptop)

I notice on a windows OS what ever is highlighted anywhere with the
mouse can be pasted with C-v.  Is there a similar keyboard combo in
linux (text) terminal mode?