On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 09:07:20AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:34:25 -0500, forgottenwizard wrote:
>
> > So instead it should set a non-existant editor to the configured
> > default?
>
> Nano is not non-existent by default.

It isn't always on the users sytem. Providing a non-existent default
seems quite broken to me.

> > Another variable in make.conf may be a reasonable fix for this though
> > I'm sure someone will bitch about having to set $EDITOR twice on their
> > system.
>
> A more sensible approach would be for the ebuild to check which ebuild
> satisfies the virtual/editor dependency and set that. If the OP really
> cared about this "problem" he'd investigate providing such solutions
> instead of ranting about how Gentoo does not use his editor of choice by
> default.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> .sig a .sog of sixpence.

The problem there would be if multiple editors provide virtual/editor
(such as on my system, which has both vim and ed installed). The ebuild
trying to automagically select what should be the default editor is a
bad idea, if not just horrible.