On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:34:37 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> >> And it's usually quicker to type with backticks instead of $():
> >
> > But nowhere near as clear.
> >
> >> Note: not single-quotes ('), but backticks (`).  It's usually the key
> >> above TAB and to the left of 1.
> >
> > I rest my case :)
>
> Why?  It's one single key.  Easy to remember.  Nothing is easier than
> one key instead of needing shift+4-shift+9 to produce "$(" :P

But not as clear as stated above. I've lost count of the number of times
someone has posted a command, on this list or elsewhere, that uses
backticks, then had to explain what backticks are after the other person
used single quotes, not noticing the difference. You even had to explain
it yourself here, which took a lot more than an extra three keystrokes.

I'm not saying don't use backticks, I occasionally use them myself,
although I tend to automatically use $( these days, but using them on a
mailing list only causes confusion.

--
Neil Bothwick

This tagline SHAREWARE. Send .