Sebastian Beßler wrote:
> Am 27.10.2009 01:27, schrieb Dale:
>

>> I'm just grateful for the geek that put the SysRq key sequence in the
>> kernel.  At least you can get back to a working console and fix the
>> stupid thing.
>>

> I use ati-drivers here and killing xorg with SysRq only gets me a blank
> black screen and a system so deep frozen that even SysRq can't help
> anymore.
>
> So that makes my hate for hal only deeper and colder…
>
> Greetings
>
> Sebastian

This is the sequence you tried I hope.  This is copied from a message
sent to me a loong time ago.

Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The usual
full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B

Reboot
Even
If
System
Utterly
Broken

I usually wait a few seconds between each one and only get to press
about 2 or 3 when my console shows up.  I am using a Nvidia card tho so
it may be something different about ATI.  Also, someone said a while
back that you have to have that option built into the kernel.  Have you
checked to make sure you have it build in?  I think the default is that
it is there but never hurts to make certain.

Dale

:-)  :-)