Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I haven't snipped - the output might be useful later in the thread.
>
> First, the "slow system" message always means something, but it's a bit
> generic. It means that mplayer can't process the audio fast enough and like
> the message says is often buggy driver or wrong configs. Try the suggestions
> listed.
>
> An OOo compile in the background will indeed kill interactive processes. I
> find that even on this DualCore2 2.6 notebook with 4G of RAM, building OOo
> sends the load through the roof, especially when it starts printing progress
> lines with lots of dots. It's IO blocking on something and the entire machine
> just sits there doing nothing whatsoever except sit in a tight loop waiting
> for soemthing to happen in the build.
>
> Try again once emerge OOo has completed. emerge KDE should not affect things
> anywhere near the same amount.

I'm a snipping.  LOL  I haven't ignored this reply, I been testing some
things.  It appears that some file types are worse than others.  .mp4
for example seems to be worse than a .flv.  I'm still trying to make
some sense out of this so I can report back something that makes sense.
Trust me, that can be a challenge for me sometimes.  ;-)

Back when something falls into place.  Oh, waiting until OOo was done
compiling did help a LOT.  It's still a little bit off tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)