On Thursday 12 November 2009 04:17:47 Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using layman to keep KDE 3.5 installed and have a question.  I run
> eix-sync to sync my tree.  From what I see, it appears it also syncs the
> layman part as well.  Does it?  This is what I see:
>
> [0] "gentoo" /usr/portage/ (cache: metadata-flat)
>      Reading 100%
> [1] "kde-sunset" /usr/local/portage/layman/kde-sunset (cache:
> parse|ebuild*#metadata-flat#assign)
>      Reading 100%
>
> I just want to make sure I am seeing this correctly.

No, eix-sync does an emerge --sync and updates the local cache for portage and
all overlays trees. To sync the overlays you need this:

layman -S && eix-sync

> While I am here, I plan to get rid of all the layman stuff when KDE 4 is
> ready enough for me to use.  Do I just run layman -d all and unmerge
> layman?  Does that get the job done?

Leave layman installed, it's useful. You also need it if you want the sunrise
stuff.

Run KDE4 and 3.5 side by side for a bit till you are happy. They use different
directories in ~ so they don't clash:

kde-3.5         ~/.kde
kde-4           ~/.kde4

then unmerge all of kde-3.5, verify with depclean, then delete the overlay

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com