daid kahl schrieb:
>> This reminds me of a problem we had just recently.
>> Have you got a multi-core CPU ?
>> If yes, read on.
>
> If you all think it might be multi-core related, check out a recent
> post that was syndicated to planet.gentoo:
> http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/weblog/archives/2009-11.html#e2009-11-19T00_43_58.txt
>
> This discusses how using a feature in the 2.6.32 kernel one can kill
> various cores in a multi-core system.
>
> In any case, it's a way to experiment with this theory.

Thanks for the link.

I rather suspect something else:

Just now had a look at the gnome-shell as I read another thread from 2
days ago ... (Mike Higgins on this list ...) mentioning this new gnome-part.

I disabled compiz and used gnome-shell.

It started fine but I was not able to start thunderbird, it always
crashed the session. Starting opera and/or firefox: OK

Another thing I did today (before that gnome-shell-test):

I remembered that I had added the gnome-overlay back then when I wanted
gnome-2.28 but still wasn't using full ~amd64.

So I wondered if I might have pulled some packages from there that
caused my crashes. I removed the overlay and did a "emerge -avuDN world"
, some pkgs were rebuilt, (yep, revdep-rebuild as well) after that I did
a reboot but still the X-session crashed occasionally.

Only with gnome-shell it seems to be thunderbird that does something
special ...

OK, I perfectly know that gnome-shell is beta ... just to add some info
to this thread.

I will now disable compiz and see what happens.

Greets to you, Stefan