> So I managed to fix the other wonkiness on my system (viz, gcc and emacs not
> emerging). Turns out, I had been sloppy in putting together my make.conf and
> used march=prescott when I should have been using march=pentium4. Fixed it,
> ran emerge -uDNe world. Things emerge now.

Really late post on this, but an emphasis on march settings is warranted.

This will totally bungle all kinds of compiling.

If you keep around things like gcc-3 for rainy days, you'll also find
that some newer march optimizations are not defined in older gcc
versions, and this will make you all confused why nothing will compile
with your hardened compiler (which, incidentally, has g77).

I have three march items commented out (with comments on what each one
is) in my make.conf so at least I think about it if I'm trouble
shooting.

I got thrown off the other day setting up a newer machine with the
same kind of problem (it needed old code and gcc3...grrr).

Regards,
daid