Really late post on this, but an emphasis on march settings is warranted.

This will totally bungle all kinds of compiling.

Daid, thanks for your input. I keep an extra line of 'safe' cflags commented out, which saved the day in this case.

If it helps anyone, here's what the [continuing] problem was:

When I figured out that I was using the wrong march, I switched it out, but forgot to look over the cflags, which still contained -msse3. Hence some improvement but not a total fix. I was thinking of giving my safe cflags a go, when, looking at them and at my regular cflags, I realized that -msse3 didn't belong. Fixed it, emerge -uDNe world, and now emerge --sync works!

Based on this experience, I would submit that if you're running Gentoo and seeing SIGILL, double checking your march and your cflags would be a pretty good place to start.

Alexander Clark