On Monday 30 November 2009 05:54:31 Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently moved my local home directory to an nfs-mounted directory.  Now
>  I'm having trouble with kmail.  It seems that the permissions on
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/sent-mail/cur are being... changed...
>
> What I'm seeing is this:
>
> drwxrwxrwx 5 mdiehl users  4096 2009-11-28 03:41 .
> drwx------ 8 mdiehl mdiehl 4096 2009-11-29 18:43 ..
> d????????? ? ?      ?         ?                ? cur
> drwx------ 2 mdiehl users  4096 2009-09-02 19:32 new
> drwx------ 2 mdiehl users  4096 2009-11-29 18:43 tmp

That is indicative of filesystem corruption where the kernel cannot read the
directory for whatever reason. The server should always be able to read the
inode for cur/ and read the owner/permissions data

What nfs options are in use, both client and server side?

> Then, after a while, the permissions get changed to something more sane
> without me having done anything.

Permissions don't just magically change. Either a cron runs that changes
things, or a circumstance changes to allow the client to see the directory

> I've googled for this and not found anything.  Strangely, kmail won't start
> unless it can read my sent-mail folder.

That's not strange at all, an MUA that can't use it's sent folder is pretty
useless as an MUA

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com